GNU Image Manipulation (GIMP) is a comprehensive digital image editing application for the Windows operating system.
The designers have tried to minimize the hassle users face carrying out routine photo editing tasks like photo manipulation, digital image retouching, composition etc. This application is distributed in portable format, which means that users can directly launch the app without having to install it on their machine! It also supports online batch image processing, trans-format image conversion, digital image rendering & transformation, image layers, picture rotation, includes painting tools & brushes, supports plugins and tile-based memory management.
The Problem of Duplicates
From time to time, you will encounter the problem of duplicate files, especially while importing photo albums from either of your USB flash drive, external hard disk or other devices. You might have accumulated a lot of duplicate images across multiple drives, folders, and subfolders. This is where you need an efficient Duplicate Cleaner software which steps in and leaves it’s mark while requiring minimum effort on your behalf throughout the duplicate detection and removal process. You can get rid of duplicates in any image format, stored on any location, with any name, instantly!
Freeware or Premium Duplicate Cleaning App?
Unlike some freeware that restricts the scan to limited file types such as JPG, JPEG, BMP and TIF formats, premium duplicate cleaning application Clone Files Checker, supports scanning for all file types – both popular image formats and unknown file types.
Get rid of a wide range of duplicate files that have accumulated in your hard disk over time. If you have a fairly large image collection of image files, it is highly recommended to scan the collection for duplicates at least once in awhile. If you store the images in a particular folder, e.g. the Downloads directory, the Custom Scan option will come in very handy in this case. In other circumstances when the files are scattered all over the hard disk, use the Full / Complete Scan option.
Finding Duplicates Using a Dupes Finder
Making good use of Clone Files Checker is fairly easy. All you’ve got to do is follow these simple steps and then get ready to retrieve an astonishing amount of hard drive.
- Download and install Clone Files Checker from Sorcim.
- Once the installation has completed, launch the program either from the Start Screen or the Desktop shortcut.
- Click Include to Scan tab from the panel located on the left.
- Now click the Add button.
- You will now get the Browse for Folder dialog box on your screen.
- Select the folder that contains the images you’ve stored with GIMP. And then click OK. It is important to note that you can add as many folders as you wish.
- Now, select the Custom option in the Search Options.
- Click Start Search to launch the scan.
- Please patiently wait while the image files are scanned. The scan might take a while to conclude, it all depends on the size of the hard disk as well as the number of images present in it.
- Once you’re presented with Scan Results, use one of the following options:
- Quick-Fix: Take an immediate action applicable across all duplicates after selecting which image version (newer / older) you want to delete.
- Review & Fix: This option will tabulate and present all filenames into a listbox so that you can choose a varying course of action for various clusters of duplicate images.
Scanning Unrecognized File Types
If some of your custom image file types haven’t been recognized by the scan engine, you may want to add those file types into the Settings dialog.
- Click the Settings icon on the upper right corner of the screen.
- You will now be seeing the Settings dialog on the screen along with a range of tabs with different settings.
- Click the Filter Settings tab.
- You will now come across various textboxes namely Music, Videos, Images, Archives and Documents with a set of different file extensions separated by a comma.
- As we’re dealing with duplicate photos, add new image file extensions in the Images field separated by a comma.
- Finally, click OK to save the changes and exit.
- Now launch the scan for duplicate images.