Software Controls & Settings
1. Can your software scan complete hard drive?
Clone Files Checker supports complete hard drive scan. Just add all partitions/ drives of your hard disk using the “Add” box located under “Select drive/ folder (Step 1)” category.
2. Can I save the scanned results?
You can save the scan results by clicking “Export List” button at bottom right corner. However, this option is unavailable in Quick-Fix option. You must select "Review & FiX" option.
3. Can I apply specific filters before scanning?
Clone Files Checker supports scan customization. You can apply numerous filters before initiating the scan.
- Choose whether to scan all sorts of files or custom files such as documents, archives, music, videos and images.
- You may choose to ignore files smaller or larger than a particular size (KB/ MB/ GB).
- You can exclude certain directories, sub folders or drives.
4. Can I restore deleted duplicate files?
To restore a deleted duplicate file, follow this procedure:
- Click the History tab in the main user interface.
- Select a scan under “Completed Scans” panel.
- Now you can see the scan and action details. Simply click the "Restore" button.
- Check up the deleted duplicate file(s) you would like to recover. To select all files, click the “Select All” button.
- Click the Restore button.
Note: The "Restore" button will be disabled if you have chosen not to compress and backup files prior to deletion process.
5. How do I obtain latest updates? Are they free of cost?
The updates are free-of-cost. To avail latest updates, click the “About” tab in the main screen, and then click “Check for updates” link.
6. Does CFC install any third party apps silently?
Clone Files Checker will never bundle any other application with it.
7. Where will CFC backup data? Can I change backup location?
The default backup directory is:
C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Clone Files Checker\History\
Each subfolder is named with the Transaction ID. For example: Trans-635902487943723494 The sub folders might contain following files:
- An Extensible Markup Language (XML) file named “Transaction.xml” that contains complete details about the particular scan, action taken, and so on.
- A compressed file named “BackUp.zip” file that contains deleted duplicate files.
- A Text File “BackUpLog.txt” that contains your backup log – list of all the contents in compressed backup file.
Please do not modify the contents of any of these files as it can make the application unstable or crash. Clone Files Checker may not be able to retrieve required information from these files if they are changed in incorrect manner.
To change your backup directory, simply follow the steps given below:
- Click the Settings icon on upper right corner.
- Now you have a new dialog on your screen namely Settings.
- Click the Preference tab.
- Click the Change button ahead of “Backup Path” textbox.
- Select a new backup directory, and then click OK.
- Save your changes by clicking OK.
8. Do I have to uninstall CFC before downloading it's new version?
No, When a new version of Clone Files Checker is available software prompts notifies the availability of update. User can then update CFC to a newer version.
9. Do I lose app settings when I update CFC to a newer version?
The software keeps old settings intact after it’s updated to newer version.
10. What are the minimum system requirements to run Clone Files Checker?
To run CFC on your computer, you must have the CPU 400 MHz or higher, 512 MB of RAM and at least 30 MB of free hard disk space.
11. Is Clone Files Checker compatible with Mac?
Currently Clone Files Checker runs on Microsoft Windows 10, Windows 8.1 / 8, Windows 7, Vista/ XP. It runs on both 32 bit and 64 bit systems. We will soon launch it for MAC operating system.
12. Does Clone Files Checker work on Android and/or iPhone?
No. It doesn't support Android and iOS.
13. I am upgrading to Windows 10. Is your duplicate file finder compatible with Windows 10?
Yes, our duplicate finder is Windows 10 compatible. You can run it on both 32 bit and 64 bit Win 10 systems.
14. Will your software support Windows XP now?
Yes, Clone Files Checker supports both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Microsoft Windows XP.
Registration & Trial
15. How can I register my copy of Clone Files Checker?
If you’ve already received an email containing your license information, please enter the Email ID and License Code into respective textboxes, and then click the Register button. Make sure you enter the email address that was used for ordering Clone Files Checker through web site.
16. What do you mean by the lifetime license of the software?
When you purchase a lifetime license, you’re not entitled to further subscription renewal charges. This is a one-time payment, there will be no additional subscription charges (annual or monthly) after initiating the purchase. Upgrades will also come free for life with this license.
17. Do you provide money back guarantee?
Yes, we provide the 60 days money back guarantee to Clone Files Checker subscribers.
18. Can I remove the gift product along with my purchase of CFC?
Yes, the secure checkout form gives flexibility to remove gift product.
19. What is the trial mechanism?
In trial mode, Clone Files Checker scans desired locations but user can only delete up to 10 duplicate groups for free.
20. What is the Upgrade Policy? Is there any perpetual license?
No, upgrades do not cost additional money. The upgrades are free of cost until subscription expiration or lifetime in case of lifetime license.
21. I haven't received license code in my email!
Your email inbox is either full or the registration email has been moved to “Junk” or “Spam” folder. At times, the email message is only delayed, the delivery time may take longer than usual.
22. Is there any evaluation period for the Trial version?
No, there is no evaluation period for Clone Files Checker trial. You can use the trial version as long as you wish.
23. Is It Safe To Order Online?
We use Avangate payment system that uses secure order forms that encrypt sensitive payment information such as your billing details and credit/ debit card information, and securely transmit it to the servers.
24. How do I submit a support ticket? Is there any forum?
We do not have any official forum. Please send us a support ticket using the online support form here.
25. Will I get unlimited, free technical support?
The paid customers will get free technical support.
26. Does CFC provide volume discount on bulk purchases?
Yes, we provide discounts for bulk purchases.
27. How do I retrieve my license code, if I lost license code?
Don’t worry if you’ve lost the License Code. Provide us your Registered Email ID using the Support Form here.
28. Can I distribute CFC setup?
You can distribute the CFC setup as long as you agree to all the Terms and Conditions specified in Sorcim’s End User License Agreement. The EULA is displayed during CFC installation wizard. You cannot modify, reverse engineer, decompile or change software components.
29. How do I receive an Invoice?
You’ll receive an email invoice as soon as you digitally order a product. If you haven’t received it, please choose “Paid Customer” type and contact us through the Support Form.
30. I'm a business user. Where can I place a bulk order?
Please visit the Registration page, choose “Small Business” option. The secure order form supports ordering bulk orders. If you’re encountering any problem, please feel free to contact us.
Software Features, Usage & Functions
31. What is the quick fix feature? Will it delete all data without letting me know?
The Quick-Fix feature prompts user to select duplicate files version (newer/ older) and choose an action. You may either delete the dupes or move them to a specific folder. It’ll not display individual file results.
32. Will the software search an entire drive?
To include all the partitions of your hard drive, click the Add button and then select individual drives one by one.
33. I can't delete a duplicate file as it is right protected?
Try the following to remove write protection of concerning file:
- Exit all open applications and background services using Services.msc tool.
- If the destination file is ReadOnly, set the Normal file attribute.
- Verify the file access permissions using Properties > Sharing tab.
- Open RegEdit and set WriteProtect=0 from the following subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevice
34. How do I add new file types to scan?
You can add new file types to predefined list by clicking Settings > Filter Settings tab. Add new file types in Music, Videos, Images, Archives and Documents textboxes.
35. I've accidentally deleted some files that I needed. What should I do now?
Go to the History tab and go through existing scan list. Select a scan, and then click “Restore” button.
36. Can I preview file contents & compare them before deleting?
You can review the list of all duplicates, preview and compare the files using the Review & Fix option.
37. Why does deletion process take longer time?
When you choose to backup the duplicates, the deletion process can take longer time. This is because it compresses all the dupes, stores them into a new zip file to reduce the disk usage.
38. Is it safe to scan operating system files?
No, it is not safe to scan operating system files. Clone Files Checker automatically excludes all system and program files so you don’t have to worry!
- C:\Program Files
- C:\Program Files (x86)
39. Does CFC support Drag & Drop feature?
At this moment Clone Files Checker does not support the Drag & Drop feature. However, we might consider this feature in upcoming versions.
40. Are slightly edited images taken into consideration?
At this moment Clone Files Checker does not support identifying slightly edited images. However, we might consider this feature in upcoming versions.
41. Does CFC compare multiple files compressed in a Zip folder?
At this moment CFC does not support scanning identical files compressed into a Zip file. However, CFC scans duplicate Zip files to reclaim large disk space.
42. Does CFC scan hidden files?
As default, CFC does not scan hidden files. However, you may configure it to do so from Settings > File Search tab. Uncheck the box labelled “Skip hidden folders”, and then click OK.
43. Does CFC support both FAT32 and NTFS disk drives?
Yes, CFC supports both the FAT32 and NTFS file systems.
44. Why does my CFC installation fails?
Clone Files Checker installation may fail due to insufficient administrative privileges. Log-in from the Administrator user account. Re-run the setup as administrator by right clicking it and choosing “Run as administrator option” option. If the problem still persists, temporarily disable your Antivirus and Firewall security program to avoid inter-app conflicts.
45. Is CFC available in other languages?
At this moment CFC is available in only English (United States).
46. Wouldn’t the backups of deleted dupes consume large space?
The backups are compressed to save disk space. However, it is recommended to delete old backups if you don’t actually need them.
47. Can I export and print the duplicate scan results?
You can export the scan results by clicking “Export List” button. This option is available in Review & Fix feature only. You can, thereafter, take a printout using Microsoft Office Excel.
48. After changing music tags CFC cannot find duplicate songs. How do I set default music tags?
Check-up the Title, Album and File Content checkboxes and uncheck all others.
49. My PC crashed and I lost my registration license to run Clone Files Checker.
Re-register the CFC using “Register” link on top right corner. You can also contact CFC Support for quick resolution of your problem.
50. How do I make sure CFC doesn't delete any program files?
You don’t have to worry about system components and program files as they are automatically excluded during scan. You can also exclude individual drives/ folders/ sub folders (Exclude from Scan tab > Add button).
51. How do I search for dupes over a certain number of KB/ MB/ GB?
Use the “Ignore files smaller than” and “Ignore files larger than” checkboxes under “Search Options” to exclude files smaller or larger than specified units respectively. Use the drop down boxes to select sizes.
52. CFC experiencing cross-version compatibility issues. How do I fix it?
Clone Files Checker is fully-compatible with Windows 10. However, if you are facing issues on previous versions of Windows, right click Clone Files Checker desktop icon; choose Properties. Go to Compatibility tab, and then check-up the box labeled “Run this program in compatibility mode for”. Select an earlier version and then click OK. Alternatively, you can use the Compatibility Troubleshooter feature in Windows 10.
53. Can I scan multiple HDDs simultaneously?
CFC supports scanning of multiple internal hard disks and external hard disk connected through USB cable.
54. I'm a novice user. Which option should I select? Quick-Fix or Review & Fix?
We suggest Quick-Fix option for the novice users. CFC will automatically backup dupes before deleting, in case you wish to restore them in future.
55. Does CFC scan files with identical names but different file extensions?
Files with identical names and different file types/ extensions are not duplicates in first case. They might have the same name, yet different content and, therefore, CFC won’t label them as clones.
56. How do I expand user interface to better review files?
Check-up the “Full Screen” checkbox in the main window. It will show you the preview of photos, songs, videos and other files.
57. Does CFC support SHA-1 Algorithm?
Yes, CFC supports the SHA-1 Algorithm.
58. Do you recommend unhiding and scanning "System Volume Information" folder?
The System Volume Information folder contains system restore points and vital information that is required for the smooth functioning of your computer. As default, CFC does not scan this sensitive folder.
59. How do I set CFC to automatically download app updates?
CFC will remind you whenever a new update is found. To manually check for new app updates, click About tab > Check for updates.
60. I want to scan only duplicate JPEG and PNG files, no other file types.
Go to Settings > Filter Settings, clear-up, replace the contents of “Images” textbox with “*.jpeg;*.png” (without quotes) and then click OK. See this resource for detailed instructions to remove duplicate jpeg.
61. It looks like my scan got stuck!
Depending on the size of data, scan may take a long time to finish. If you want faster removal of duplicates, you can choose not to backup data. However, we recommend you to carefully review all files before removing them.
62. Why does iTunes still shows deleted duplicate files/songs?
Songs get deleted from the hard disk but track-links remain in iTunes . You can use Dead Track Remover feature of CFC to remove them.
63. Can I create a rule to scan files in certain size range?
You can create a rule to scan files of varying size using the “Ignore files smaller than” and “Ignore files larger than” features in the Search Options.
64. My files have the same name, size yet they are not identified as dupes, why?
Perhaps those files have different content and thus they cannot be termed duplicates.
65. Why I cannot restore a backup?
You might have accidentally deleted the backup files. Verify the contents of following folder to determine whether the backup file still exists or not:
- C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Clone Files Checker\History\
The backup file is named “BackUp.zip” in a folder representing your Transaction ID.
66. Can I choose not to show CFC's explorer context menu items?
You can disable CFC’s context menu entries in File Explorer. To do so, click Settings > Preference. Uncheck the box named “Add in explorer context menu” and then click OK.
67. I accidentally changed my CFC settings. How do I restore CFC to it's factory settings?
Visit the Settings area of software and then click the Restore Default button that appears on very first screen. It’ll restore all factory settings.
Cloud Duplicate Scanning
68. How Do I Scan Duplicates On Google Drive And Other Cloud Storage?
Using the Cloud Scan tab of Clone Files Checker, you can scan for duplicate items residing in your Google Drive. All you have to do is to load drive, enter gmail account details on the application, and decide which folders to scan for duplicate files.